Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home4/derok6/public_html/islandershockeyblog/components/com_sh404sef/shInit.php on line 37
Whale Take 2-0 Series Lead with 3-0 Win Over Bridgeport | April

(Editors note: Due to time constraints I was not able to go down to the locker room for post-game interviews. Quotes come from Michael Fornabaio of the Connecticut Post.)

Bridgeport, Conn -- The Sound Tigers put 41 shots on goal, but were once again shut out by Cam Talbot and the Whale, who won 3-0.

Talbot, who was the game’s first star, had stopped 42 shots the previous game against the Sound Tigers.

“You’re running into a hot goalie,” Brent Thompson told the CT Post. “They’ve obviously played very well. For us, we’ve just got to stay the course. We’ve got to find a way to create offense, whether that’s more shots, on the rush, net drive, net presence, cutting back, puck possession.”

The game opened up with J.T Miller taking a hooking penalty 1:10 into the period.  Then Kris Newbury took a roughing penalty 14 seconds later and the Sound Tigers went on the 5-on-3. They had several chances, but could not get one by Talbot.

Connecticut scored their first goal moments after the Sound Tigers power play ended. Jon Landry made a giveaway in is own zone and Jonathan Audy-Marchessault put one past Kevin Poulin to give the Whale a 1-0 lead.

"We can't take a six-minute break early in the game," Thompson said. "We got outworked."

The Whale added to that lead when Marek Hrivik scored the game’s second goal at the 6:44 of the second period. And Hrivik scored his second goal of the game with a little over five minutes left in the game to seal a 3-0 shutout win for the Whale.

The game 2 loss means that Bridgeport must win this afternoon or they’ll be eliminated from the playoffs. Today’s game starts at 5 p.m. at the Xcel Center.

Game Notes:

- Rhett Rakhshani got hit in the mouth with a puck of last night’s loss. A whale clearing attempt, in the second period, went right into his mouth and Rakhshani immediately hit the ice in pain. He left the game, but later returned early in the third period.

- Late in the game frustration boiled over for the Sound Tigers and several scrums and a fight broke out. Whale Captain Wade Redden dropped the gloves with Justin Debenedetto.

- Also, Casey Cizikas was given a game misconduct for abuse-of-officials (Rule 39.5 (ii)). Cizikas had been aggressively trying to break away from an official as he was being led off the ice and could be clearly seen motioning and gesturing on the ice, but it was unclear to whom exactly.